SLF : The Beauty of Red and White

Time goes-by so fast... After a hectic Indonesian President Election and Jakarta (JW Marriot & Ritz Carlton Hotel) Bomb Terror on last July, finally we celebrated Indonesian's 64th Independence Day peacefully, last week. It was great to have a long weekend :D
This is my second time celebrating the independence day with some foodie bloggers by presenting red and white food photos. Something that I've never thought before.

Red & White in Harmony

It's still clear in my mind, when I posted the 'Simple Red and White Menu' for 'Indonesian's Independence Day Event' last year. I chose Indonesian 'traditional menu' for my posting.
And now, one year later... I decide to use the popular Indonesian Dessert/Snack as my food photography object for the special edition of SLF during the month of August. The Beauty of Red and White, that's the theme for SLF this month. By now you should know why Red and White, correct? Both are the colours of Indonesian Flag. Red represents courage, while white represents purity of intent.

For the food; to represent the Red Colour, I chose Kue Ku (Moulded Glutinous Rice Cake with Mung Bean Filling). We can find this cake in red, pink or green colour in markets. Lupis Ketan (Steamed Glutinous Rice Cones) that is served with grated coconut and brown sugar syrup was choosen to represent the White Colour.
Because I live in Jakarta, ohooo... it's easy to find these Indonesian tidbits in local market. Just to let you know, I bought the cakes in my favorite 'Majestic Market', in Kebayoran area, South Jakarta. Easy peasy!

The Beauty of Red & White

For the props; I just used my old stuffs from my kitchen cupboard. Only the cake stand that I borrowed from my mom's kitchen. Hopefully I can borrow it forever :)

... Happy Independence Day, Indonesia!

Red & White Mozaic

http://vsamperuru.multiply.com/photos/album/11/SLF_The_Beauty_of_Red_and_White

Comments

Anh said…
Happy Independence day! And the kueh looks real nice.
any said…
mba Vania, salam kenal!!
kue nya cantik.. boleh nyontek resep2nya kan? thanks
Unknown said…
Bikin kepengen deh van,,kangen sm kue-ku..:),

thank's untuk entry nya ya.., td masukkin html ga bisa disini...

salam,
admin SLF
Dhi said…
Mbak V, favoritku juga Pasar Mayestik, tempat berburu loyang & bahan kue, bunga pepaya buat masakan menado, jajan pasarnya juga bikin kalap... :D
Foto cantik skali, beda ya sama yang di Flickr. Lebih seger gitu loh
Sanjeev Kapoor said…
What a wonderful delicacies of dishes. i reallly enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing it with us. I will surely try them out.
Wow Gold said…
Very Nice Blog
Wow Gold said…
very nice blog
Lidia Sianturi said…
Vania, salam kenal ya..
itu kue ku bikin kepingin deh...cetakan beli dmana say?
Vania said…
Anh, thank you.

Any, salam kenal jg. Boleh nyontek resep, saya jg nyontek kog :)

Bu Admin,... great job, thx for hosting this event.

Sanjevv, thanks.

Lidia, salam kenal jg.
Lidia di Canada kan ya? Kalo di Jkt cetakan kue ku bisa ditemukan di Majestic. Itu yg aku tau :))